Kale Carrot Muffins
A mix of brown rice and buckwheat flours give these muffins a deep nuttiness that's accentuated by the crunchy almond topping.
- 2 extra-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 pinch cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
- In medium bowl, mix bananas, maple syrup, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, and water to combine. Add quinoa flakes, flours, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and mix. Fold in kale and carrots. Fill muffins cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Mix almonds with sugar and 1 pinch cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over batter. Bake muffins 12 minutes or until golden on top.
- Recipe provided by Kate Scarlata of Blog.KateScarlata.com
Per serving: 177 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 22 g carb., 2 g fiber, 4 g pro., 83 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet