Kale Quinoa Salad with Red Grapes
This superfood salad from The Healthy Mind Cookbook combines two of our favorite healthy foods - quinoa and kale - and gives them a flavor upgrade with fresh herbs, spices, and sweet red grapes.
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups stemmed finely chopped kale
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup halved red seedless grapes, or 3 tablespoons raisins
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse well under cold running water. In a small saucepan, bring 11/2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa and cover. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the quinoa is just tender. Remove from the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 10 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and olive oil together in a large bowl. Add the kale and give it a quick massage with your hands. Add the cooked quinoa, mint, parsley, lemon zest, and grapes and toss lightly to combine. Serve at room temperature or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 201 kcal cal., 16 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 325 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 6 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet