With crispy edges, these savory, satisfying pancakes truly let the flavor of kimchi shine. If you have extra kimchi left over from another meal, give them a try.
- 1 cup drained chopped cabbage kimchi, plus 1/4 cup kimchi liquid
- 6 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Dipping sauce, for serving
- In a medium bowl, stir together kimchi, kimchi liquid, rice flour, all-purpose flour, scallions, egg, sugar, and salt until a thick batter forms.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the skillet to form pancakes about 2 1/2 inches wide. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip pancakes and press down firmly on them with the back of your spatula. Continue cooking until other side is golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as needed.
- Transfer to a platter and serve with pancake dipping sauce.
- Text excerpted from KOREAN FOOD MADE SIMPLE © 2016 by Judy Joo. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- Photo credit: Jean Cazals