Lemon Herb Barley Salad with Fava Beans
For the barley salad:
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- In a pot, bring barley and 2 cups water to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the grain is soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate pot, bring remaining 1 cup water to a boil, add fava beans and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until bright green under their coating and tender when pricked with a knife, then drain and immediately plunge into a bowl of cold water; set aside to cool.
- Once beans are cool, gently remove outer skin by pressing them between your fingers or running the tip of a paring knife down the side and sliding the skin off.
- To make the dressing, place olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and herbs in a blender or food processor and blend to combine; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine barley with fava beans and herb dressing, stirring gently. Season to taste with salt and serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
- Recipe and image courtesy of Great Meals With Greens and Grains: Over 80 Easy Recipes For Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Dishes by Megan Wolf, MS, RD (Page Street Publishing).