Lemony Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- 2 cups short grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2-inch piece of kombu
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (any kind), coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat a large saute pan on medium heat and melt the coconut oil in it. Add leek, onion, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Saute until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the rice looks pearly, about 5 minutes. Add the kombu.
- Start adding the broth, and then the coconut milk, 1 cup at a time, and bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring often, until the rice is soft, about 45 minutes. Wait until most of liquid is absorbed before adding more.
- About 10 minutes before rice is done, make the mushrooms. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and melt the coconut oil in it. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are soft and cooked, about 5 minutes. Mix the parsley, sea salt, and black pepper to taste.
- When the rice is done, remove the kombu. Mix in 2 teaspoons of sea salt, the cilantro, and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the mushrooms and extra parsley. Serve immediately.