Lemony Spinach Split Pea Soup
This soup is a nutritional powerhouse, with a hefty 26 grams of fiber from all those split peas. It also contains a whopping 25 grams of plant-based protein and iron-packed spinach in every serving.
- 4 cups uncooked green split peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a soup pot over medium heat, combine all soup ingredients except spinach and lemon. Bring to a boil.
- When soup comes to a boil, turn down heat to a simmer and continue simmering until split peas are thoroughly cooked, about 45 minutes.
- When peas are cooked, remove from heat and add spinach and lemon juice.
- Leave soup as is or puree for a smoother texture.
- Recipe provided by 5 Plant-Based Freezer-Friendly Meals ecookbook by Kayli Dice, plant-based nutrition expert and recipe blogger at The Plant Eaters' Manifesto
Per serving: 353 kcal cal., 1 g fat) (63 g carb., 26 g fiber, 25 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet