Low-Calorie Lime-Glazed Shortbread Cookies
Don't let the word "shortbread" throw you for a loop. Thanks to whole-wheat flour and olive oil these cookies have just 73 calories and 3g fat apiece!
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, olive oil, egg, and honey with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in lime zest and flour mixture until combined (it will be somewhat sticky). On a floured work surface, form dough into a log about 8 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Slice chilled dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes on sheet; transfer to a wire rack placed over wax paper and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lime juice, and lime zest, adding more juice if necessary to thin glaze until its pourable. Drizzle glaze over cookies and let set for 15 minutes.
Per serving: 73 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 43 mg sodium, 1 g pro., 1 mg calcium. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet