Mandarin Orange and Quinoa Chicken Bowls
A protein-backed grain bowl gets a sweet and juicy upgrade with the addition of vitamin-C rich mandarin oranges.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons adobo sauce, from canned chipotle in adobo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 4 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Mix together 3/4 teaspoon salt, chili powder and cumin and rub on chicken. Grill chicken on both sides until cooked through; set aside to cool, then slice.
- Make chipotle lime vinaigrette: Whisk together the lime juice, garlic, honey, adobo sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and olive oil. Then discard halved garlic cloves.
- Spoon quinoa into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with some spinach, black beans, bell pepper, avocado, mandarin segments and sliced chicken. Drizzle each with vinaigrette and sprinkle with scallions to serve.
- Adapted with permission from Wonderful Halos Mandarins
- Photo credit: Wonderful Halos Mandarins