Marbled Matcha Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon matcha, plus more for dusting
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 6 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, sieved
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, hot
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a silicone Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, or butter and flour a cake pan or an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter with confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder.
- Pour half of batter into separate bowl to make 2 equal portions.
- Stir matcha into remaining 1 tbsp milk until no lumps remain. Mix matcha paste into batter in one of the bowls.
- Ladle a few spoonfuls of vanilla batter into bottom of prepared pan. Ladle a few spoonfuls of matcha batter over top. Continue alternating until all vanilla and matcha batter have been used. Drag a chopstick through the batter, swirling to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack and removing pan.
- To make glaze: Melt chocolate in small heatproof bowl over saucepan of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn't touch the water.
- Stir matcha with water until no lumps remain. Add matcha mixture and sieved confectioner's sugar to melted chocolate. Heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth. Mix in hot cream. Pour glaze over cooled cake, letting it drip down sides. Dust with matcha.
- © Matcha - The Cookbook by Gretha Scholtz, published by teNeues