Meatballs and Gravy
Give your immune system a boost with this main dish, rich in folate, lentinan, and protein.
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 cup fat-free chicken or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Cook rice according to the package directions. Heat green beans in a microwave. Cover both with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, mix together turkey, onions, parsley, and salt. Shape mixture into 16 meatballs; set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes, until tender. Remove mushrooms from pan; set aside.
- Add meatballs to the hot pan. Saute 3 minutes, until browned, turning frequently. Return mushrooms to pan; add thyme, salt, and pepper; stir. Add 3/4 cup of broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer 3 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup of broth. Add mixture to pan and simmer for 1 minute. Serve over cooked rice with green beans on the side.
Per serving: 503 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 79 g carb., 5 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 35 g pro., 84 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet