Meatless Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
"These meatballs are so full of flavor from the garlic, basil, and eggplant that you'll never miss the meat. Plus, they're easy to eat, making them an ideal party food and a perfect option for vegetarians and meat lovers alike." Executive Chef Michele Mazza of Trattoria Il Mulino
- 1 large eggplant, diced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 6 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 16 ounces gluten-free bread crumbs (more if needed for dry consistency)
- Dice eggplant and cook with 2 tablespoons oil in a medium-sized saucepan until golden. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan, add garlic, and cook until golden. Add tomatoes to pan with salt and pepper to taste and cook until soft, about 20 min. Add fresh basil and remove from heat.
- When eggplant and tomatoes have cooled, place both in a large mixing bowl (reserve some tomato sauce for later). Add eggs and breadcrumbs and mix. Form into small, firm spheres, about 1-inch thick. Add to a frying pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook until golden brown. Once removed from pan, top with remaining sauce and fresh basil.
- Recipe provided by Trattoria Il Mulino