Mexican Rice and Beans with Ham
A hearty meal that gets its zip from fresh cilantro.
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth or water
- 1 smoked ham shank (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 19 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning with cumin, or ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine broth, ham shank, and bay leaves. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the shank from the broth. Reserve the broth in pan over medium-high heat and, using two forks, pull edible meat away from bone; discard bone.
- Return the ham to the simmering liquid and add rice, black beans, adobo seasoning, and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Discard the bay leaves. Add the cilantro and toss to combine. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 622 kcal cal., 13 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 91 g carb., 12 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 34 g pro., 72 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet