Middle Eastern-Inspired Salad
For the salad:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 eggplants
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Puy lentils
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees if using a convection oven).
- Chop cauliflower and eggplants into bite-size pieces and place on a large baking sheet with half the tamari, some olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Place lentils into a saucepan with remaining tamari and 2 cups of boiling water. Place the lid on the pan and bring the lentils to a boil again, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for the dressing and let them sit for a while so the flavors can infuse.
- Allow cauliflower, eggplant and lentils to cool, then combine in a salad bowl with the dressing, mixing gently.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and pomegranate seeds and mix so everything is lightly coated in the dressing.
- Recipe and image courtesy of Deliciously Ella Every Day: Quick and Easy Recipes for Gluten-Free Snacks, Packed Lunches, and Simple Meals by Ella Woodward