Multigrain Stuffing with Apples and Currants
A rustic hearty loaf of bread works best for this recipe.
- 1 loaf multigrain bread with nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green apple, cored and finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 egg white
- Cooking spray
- Remove crusts from bread and cut into squares. Place in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions, celery, and apple with 1 cup chicken stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine turmeric, mustard, coriander, fennel seed, ginger, and salt. Stir into onion mixture and combine with bread cubes. Add parsley, thyme, sage, and currants.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white into remaining 1 1/4 cups chicken stock. Pour stock over stuffing and stir until bread absorbs stock.
- Coat the inside of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, then transfer stuffing to the dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover stuffing with aluminum foil and cook 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 20 minutes until stuffing is heated through and top is just browning.
- Nutritional information does not include multigrain bread with nuts.
Make Ahead Tip
- Steps 1 through 5 can be completed the day before. Then cover stuffing with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
Per serving: 98 kcal cal., 4 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 g carb., 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 3 g pro., 70 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet