NOLA-Style Cajun Crawfish Bread
If you're going to have a taste of NOLA, it has to be something with Cajun spices. This Cajun Crawfish bread is cheesy, flavorful, and less than 150 calories a slice! Crawfish is a delicious lean protein with B-vitamins, phosphorus, and zinc. Enjoy as an appetizer, snack or pair with a salad for lunch.
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup crawfish tails, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 16 ounce loaf French bread, halved lengthwise
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the cottage cheese to a mini food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and celery. Saute for about 7 minutes until softened. Stir in green onions, garlic, crawfish, lemon juice, and salt. Cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer crawfish-vegetable mixture from skillet into bowl with cheese mixture. Stir well to mix completely.
- Scoop some of the bread out of the center of the bread. Spoon the crawfish-cheese mixture onto the bread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and bread is toasted. Let cool for about 3-5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired and serve. Enjoy!
- Recipe and photo by Meme Inge, M.S, R.D.N nutrition expert and owner of Living Well Kitchen
Per serving: 142 kcal cal., 5 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 294 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 8 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet