For a special touch, garnish with fresh blackberries when in season.
- 1/3 cup blackberry preserves
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Butter for coating pan
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 pinches sugar, divided
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine preserves and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a near boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat an ovenproof pie plate with softened butter and sprinkle with 2 pinches sugar; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk milk, orange juice, and orange zest with egg yolks. In a separate small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Whisk into milk-egg yolk mixture. Place in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling; let boil for 1 minute.
- With a hand mixer, whip egg whites and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form. Fold hot milk-egg yolk mixture into egg whites and spread into prepared pie plate. Bake until souffle is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Serve with blackberry sauce.
- Nutritional information includes 1 tablespoon butter for coating the pan.
Per serving: 506 kcal cal., 14 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 194 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 61 g sugar, 16 g pro., 207 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet