Pea and Pancetta Soup
Locally harvested, garden-fresh peas add a natural sweetness to this bright green soup. For a leaner version, use all-natural, nitrate-free sliced deli ham instead of pancetta. (Applegate Farms is a good brand.)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta or nitrate-free deli ham, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound freshly shelled peas, or frozen baby peas
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce (use inner leaves)
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, plus extra for thinning
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta (or nitrate-free deli ham), onion, and celery, and saute until onions are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in peas and lettuce followed by the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender and process until chunky-smooth, adding more broth to thin, as necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve either hot or cold.
- Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 718 kcal cal., 73 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 12 g carb., 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 7 g pro., 36 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet