Reduced-fat cream cheese and vegetable oil replace some of the butter in this healthier pie recipe. One slice has just 332 calories and 15 grams of fat; most other fruit pies clock in at about 500 calories and have twice as much fat.
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, chilled
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
For the Filling and Topping:
- 2 pounds ripe peaches (about 6 medium), peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled salted butter, cut into bits
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
To make the crust
- Whisk together flours in a medium bowl. Cut in butter and cream cheese with your fingers (or a pastry blender or fork); mix until crumbly.
- Stir in oil, then orange juice; continue until dough comes together in bowl.
- Gather pastry into a ball, knead a few times, and press into a flattened disk.
- Wrap in wax paper; refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Place chilled dough between two large pieces of wax paper; roll into a 12-inch circle. (If you've chilled overnight, let soften 10 minutes at room temperature before rolling out.)
- Peel off top sheet of wax paper; transfer dough, wax paper side up, to a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Gently press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan.
- Peel off paper; crimp top edges of dough to form a rim. Prick dough in several places with a fork; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake crust 15 minutes; let cool.
To make filling and topping
- Combine peaches and blueberries in a large bowl. Gently toss with lemon juice.
- Whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour over peach-blueberry mixture; toss to blend.
- Transfer fruit mixture to cooled shell. Coat edges of crust with nonstick cooking spray and bake pie (topless) 25 minutes.
- While pie bakes, make topping by stirring together whole-wheat pastry flour with rolled oats, light brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using your fingers (or a fork or pastry blender), cut in butter until evenly distributed. Stir in orange juice concentrate and nuts.
- After pie has baked 25 minutes, remove from oven; scatter topping over fruit. Bake 20 minutes more or until juices are bubbly and thick around edges. Cool 1 hour before slicing into 10 wedges.
Per serving: 314 kcal cal., 14 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 91 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 24 g sugar, 5 g pro., 40 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet