Peppermint-Chocolate Chip Meringues
Don't let the long cooking time put you off. These meringues are a snap to make and bake unattended.
- 16 red-and-white peppermint candy rounds
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil (shiny side down).
- Place candies in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Squeeze out air, seal, and, using a heavy-bottom small saucepan, crush well.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with a mixer until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes).
- Reduce speed to low and add 1 tablespoon sugar at a time, beating for several seconds between each addition. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Blend in crushed candies and chocolate chips.
- Drop 16 well-rounded tablespoons of meringue onto each baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake 1 hour on the oven's top rack. Move cookie sheets to bottom rack and bake 1 more hour. Turn off oven; let meringues sit until oven is completely cool. Remove from baking sheets and store in airtight containers.
Per serving: 45 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 9 g carb., 0 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 1 g pro., 1 mg calcium, 0 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet