Try to find another cookie that clocks in at 9 calories a pop and gives you the peppermint flavor of the season. Putting in the time is worth it for this festive treat that's indulgent without weighing you down.
- 5 peppermint hard candies, plus more as needed
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Pulse peppermints in a food processor until they're the consistency of a fine powder. You will need a total of 3 tablespoons (add additional candies if necessary).
- Add egg whites to a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium until frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt, then beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high and gradually beat in sugar. Continue whipping for about 5 minutes or until egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 tablespoon powdered peppermint.
- Fill a pastry bag with the meringue (alternately, use a plastic freezer bag and snip off one corner with scissors) and pipe 1-inch rounds onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle tops with additional powdered peppermint. Bake for 45 minutes. Switch position of pans, and bake for 45 minutes more or until meringues are dry. Cool on baking sheets. Store in an airtight container.
Per serving: 9 kcal cal.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet