Pesto Turnip and Broccoli Rice with Poached Egg
Believe it or not, there's no real rice in this recipe. Instead, small bits of spiralized turnips are added to bind together the egg and broccoli. Those turnips add a creamy, warm texture too.
- 2 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 large turnips, peeled and spiral cut (Blade C for Inspiralizer)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups basil leaves, packed
- 2 tablespoons pinenuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grinded sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grinded pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Bring a medium saucepan filled halfway with water to a boil. Add in the broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and pat dry thoroughly.
- While broccoli is cooking, pulse turnip noodles in a food processor until rice-like.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant and then add in the turnip rice and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper and cook covered for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add all of the ingredients for the pesto into the food processor and pulse until creamy.
- Toss the turnip rice and the pesto in a large mixing bowl.
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a steady simmer. Crack the eggs individually into a small bowl. Create a gentle whirlpool in the simmering water and slowly drop the egg into the water. Cook for three minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and gently rest on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Top pesto turnip rice with a drained poached egg and serve immediately.
- Recipe provided by Inspiralized.
Per serving: 377 kcal cal., 32 g fat (5 g sat. fat), 15 g carb., 6 g sugar, 11 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet