Pistachio and Squash Galette
- 1/2 small butternut squash, seeded and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 3/4 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 4 ounces chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch thyme, stems removed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 red chile, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a medium bowl, toss squash with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place squash on a baking tray and roast until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Place pistachios and sunflower seeds on another baking tray and toast alongside squash until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove nuts and seeds from oven (leaving squash to finish roasting) and add to a food processor with chestnuts, 2 tablespoons olive oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, thyme, and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Process until dough is fine and crumbly and comes together when squeezed.
- Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper and pat it into a circle. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to spread dough into a circle about 1/4 inch thick and 12 to 14 inches in diameter. Transfer to a baking tray, remove top sheet, and prick dough with a fork. Bake in oven alongside squash until golden around the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. (If squash is done first, remove from oven and set aside.)
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-high heat, saute onion in remaining teaspoon oil with a pinch of salt until it's deep violet, about 10 minutes.
- To a blender, add cashews, avocado, spinach, half the lemon juice, and several pinches of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- When galette has slightly cooled, spread with spinach mixture and top with onion, roasted squash, and chile.
- Recipe provided by Anna Jones, author of A Modern Way to Eat
- Photo credit: Claire Benoist
Per serving: 439 kcal cal., 30 g fat (4.1 g sat. fat), 123 mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 11 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet