Pitas with Cumin-Scented Pinto Bean Pate
This pate can also be served as a dip (like hummus) with sliced vegetables.
- 1 3/4 cups pinto beans, cooked or canned
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small scallion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium-size ripe tomato, diced
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- Place the pinto beans, cumin, lime juice, garlic, scallion, and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cover the mixture and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, fold in the diced tomato. Stuff each pita with one-fourth of the mixture. Top with more chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 276 kcal cal., 3 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 1242 mg sodium, 11 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 12 g pro., 86 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet