Poached Shrimp With Cress, Herbs, and Pineapple
- 3 lemons
- 1 3-inch piece fresh ginger, scrubbed
- 2 red jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, quartered, cored, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp (shells on)
- 4 ounces watercress or upland cress
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 avocado, diced
- Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from the lemons into a large bowl and set rinds aside. Grate 1 teaspoon ginger into the bowl and set the rest aside. Slice 1 jalapeno and add to the bowl, along with honey and 1 teaspoon fish sauce. Stir together well, add the pineapple, and gently stir again. Set aside and stir occasionally.
- Add lemon rinds to a large saucepan. Slice remaining ginger and halve remaining jalapeno lengthwise; add both to the pan along with remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce. Fill it halfway with water, bring to a boil over high heat, then add shrimp. Cover pan, remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes, and drain.
- When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, peel and devein them. Add to the bowl with the pineapple, along with the cress, cilantro, mint, and avocado. Toss with your hands until well mixed. Divide among plates and serve immediately.
Per serving: 224 kcal cal., 6 g fat (0.9 g sat. fat), 24 g carb., 5 g fiber, 23 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet