- Whole-grain sorghum
- Sea salt or a spice blend, for seasoning
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Heat a thin layer of canola or vegetable oil in a cold pan over medium heat. Add a layer of whole-grain sorghum to the pan, and use a wooden spoon to stir and coat the kernels.
- Continually stir or shake the pan until you hear a faint sizzle or see a kernel pop. Cover the pan and continually shake it until you start to hear vigorous popping.
- When the popping subsides, remove the lid. Pour the sorghum onto a tray lined with paper towels. Season with sea salt or a spice blend (try shichimi togarashi or za'atar).
- Courtesy of Chef Sarah Simmons of Birds & Bubbles in New York City