Pork Medallions in Cranberry Chutney with Barley
Saute bits of meat until they're succulent with this easy-to-follow recipe.
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium, nonfat chicken broth or water
- 2 teaspoons peanut or olive oil
- 2 8 ounces pork tenderloins, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup canned whole-berry sweetened cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- In a saucepan, add barley to boiling broth/water. Cover, reduce heat; simmer for 8 minutes. Add peas. Cook for 2 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Salt and pepper both sides of pork and saute for 2 minutes per side. Remove pork; set aside.
- In the juices in the skillet, saute onion for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Return the pork to the pan; simmer for 2 minutes. Serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 449 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 70 g carb., 10 g fiber, 27 g sugar, 31 g pro., 50 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet