Quick Oats Upma
This savory Indian-inspired dish comes together in minutes.
- 2 cups quick oats
- 3 teaspoons neutral-flavor cooking oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 Thai or Indian green chiles, minced
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, roast oats in 2 teaspoons oil over low to medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes until oats begin to color. Remove from heat and set oats aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan over medium-low heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add cumin seeds. When seeds sizzle, add chilies and stir a few times. Add onion and saute about 5 to 7 minutes until transparent. Add carrot and bell pepper, and sprinkle with a bit of water. Cook, stirring, about 8 minutes until soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add water and salt to taste and bring to a boil. Add reserved oats, reducing the heat to medium-low. Stir until oats cook and begin to absorb water, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Recipe provided by Usha of VegInspirations.com
Per serving: 365 kcal cal., 12 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 55 g carb., 10 g fiber, 11 g pro., 91 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet