Raspberry Chocolate Macaroons
This classic holiday cookie gets a Paleo makeover with all-natural sweeteners.
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 unsweetened coconut
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, raspberry jam, and raspberries to a simmer over medium heat. Allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and salt until medium peaks form.
- Place coconut in a large bowl, and strain coconut milk mixture into it. Stir to combine. Gently fold in egg whites. Using an ice cream scoop with a lever or two spoons, drop batter onto the cookie sheets, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow them to cool on the pans placed over wire racks.
- Melt about two-thirds of chocolate in a double boiler and remove from the heat. Stir in remaining chocolate until it's melted. Stir in honey and set aside.
- Once macaroons are cool, drizzle with chocolate and refrigerate.
- Adapted with permission from The New Yiddish Kitchen by Simone Miller and Jennifer Robins (Page Street Publishing Co., 2016)