Red Quinoa with Cherries and Smoked Almonds
With big flavors, a tart sweetness, and a nutty texture, this healthy side can bring out the flavors in even the driest turkey meat. Let it brighten up your main course, or enjoy it alone as a breakfast or lunch treat.
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Stir in quinoa, cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes more. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, almonds, chives, olive oil, sherry vinegar, and quinoa. Stir until well mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 223 kcal cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 81 mg sodium, 6 g fiber, 6 g pro., 45 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet