Red Wine Poached Pears
- 4 Bosc pears
- 1 750-milliliter bottle red wine,preferably merlot or Bordeaux
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces goat cheese, softened
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- Peel pears and use a paring knife to core each from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, wine, cinnamon stick, and 1/3 cup honey. Bring to a simmer over medium-low, then add pears. Partially cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove pears to a plate and set aside. Continue cooking wine sauce for 15 to 18 minutes more or until reduced by 75 percent.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, goat cheese, and remaining honey until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Place a pear in a shallow bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon wine sauce. Top with a spoonful of goat cheese cream and dust with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Repeat with remaining pears and serve immediately.
Per serving: 103 kcal cal., 1 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 24 g carb., 5 g fiber, 1 g pro., 18 mg calcium. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet