Rihanna's Spicy Bajan Chicken Soup
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, left whole
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut in small pieces
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup fat-free, free-range chicken stock
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 1 habanero pepper
- In an 8-quart stock pot, heat grapeseed oil. Add chicken breast and thighs, curry powder, and tumeric. Saute for 5 minutes, then stir in onions, garlic, and ginger; cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken thighs fall apart. Then, use the back of a spoon to rub habanero pepper against the side of the pot to release flavor; remove pepper right away. Serve with brown rice or whole-wheat bread.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 207 kcal cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 g carb., 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 25 g pro., 39 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet