Roasted Beet and Pepita Winter Salad
Although it appears like a simple salad, this recipe contains close to 18 percent of the recommended daily amount of iron. Where is it all coming from? The pepitas (AKA pumpkin seeds) have a nice amount, but it's the beets that are brimming with the mineral!
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage, sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup quick pickled sweet onion*
- 6 beets, cubed and roasted http://acleanbake.com/simple-roasted-beets/
- 2 cups large crumbles of ricotta salata cheese, or other nut or dairy cheese of choice
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Your favorite vinaigrette
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the spinach and green cabbage until evenly mixed. Transfer to a large salad bowl or platter.
- Sprinkle the pickled onions evenly over the greens.
- Layer the roasted beets over the top, and finish with pepitas.
- Toss before serving and dress with your favorite vinaigrette.
- *To quick-pickle your onions, slice them very thinly and place in a small bowl. Add enough white or apple cider vinegar to just cover the slices, and let soak for 15 minutes to 8 hours. The vinegar takes the bite out of onion and the longer you soak the onions, the milder they become. Drain thoroughly before using.
- Recipe provided by Nora Schlesinger of A Clean Bake.
Per serving: 235 kcal cal., 15 g fat (6 g sat. fat), 392 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 13 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet