Roasted Beet, Fennel, and Arugula Salad
- 3 medium beets (red or gold), washed, tops removed, and cut in half
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives
- 1 tablespoon diced shallots
- 1 medium bulb fennel, top trimmed
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place beets in a small baking dish. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes or until beets are tender. Let beets cool, peel off skin, and cut into bite-size wedges.
- Whisk together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, chives, and shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of dressing to beets and toss to coat.
- Cut fennel bulb in half and remove core. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice fennel and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add arugula and gently toss to mix. Add remaining dressing and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heap a mound of fennel-arugula salad in center of each plate. Scatter beets around fennel mixture and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 604 kcal cal., 60 g fat (12 g sat. fat), 476 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 7 g pro., 86 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet