Roasted Beets with Honey-Horseradish Dressing
Wake up your taste buds with this easy-to-make healthy side dish.
- 2 pounds trimmed beets (6 medium), cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon jarred grated horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chives, divided
- Watercress leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap sets of 2 beets each in sheets of foil. Bake on a baking sheet for 1 hour or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, rub off skins under running water.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, honey, horseradish, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour dressing over beets. Toss with 2 tablespoons of chives. To serve, spoon over watercress and top with remaining chives.
- Try a crisp, assertive white wine, such as the German Dr. M. Prum Riesling ($12) for a perfect balance of sweet and tart autumn fruits or New York State's award-winning Dr. Konstantin Frank's Johannisberg Riesling ($11). For a red, try Domaine de Piaugier Sablet ($10), an earthy wine with pepper-spice overtones.
- Nutritional information does not include Watercress leaves.
Per serving: 112 kcal cal., 0 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 338 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 3 g pro., 29 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet