Salmon and Vegetable Oven Kebabs
These salmon kebabs are rich in omega-3 fats, which have been linked to heart health and also been shown to help fight inflammation. Broiling in the oven helps when you want to grill out, but the weather's not quite behaving.
- juice of 4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pound wild salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 small plum tomatoes, cut into quarters (or 8 cherry tomatoes)
- 4 large whole mushrooms, stems removed, halved
- 1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 skewers
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl combine juice, oil, garlic, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix well and divide in half.
- Add salmon and vegetables to half of marinade and gently toss to coat pieces. Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes, occasionally rearranging pieces to ensure even coating.
- Preheat oven broiler and spray large shallow baking dish.
- Remove skewers from water.
- Divide fish and vegetable pieces into 4 even portions. Arrange and distribute them evenly on skewers, being careful not to break the pieces.
- Place on baking dish. Brush with remaining marinade not used for marinating raw fish. Broil for about 5 to 8 minutes, brushing frequently with marinade. Carefully turn over kebabs and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes, basting frequently until fish is done. Serve immediately.
- Recipe and photo provided by the American Institute for Cancer Research.
Per serving: 259 kcal cal., 13 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 9 g carb., 2 g fiber, 26 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet