Sausage and Herb Stuffing
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked, sliced chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 2 teaspoons dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups cubed bakery-style whole grain bread, dried overnight
- 1 14 ounce can lowfat, low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a saute pan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add all vegetables and saute until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add sausage; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in half of each type of the herbs and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Place bread in a large bowl and combine with the vegetable mixture. Add half the chicken broth; mix all ingredients well. Add remaining chicken broth if necessary; bread should be wet and well-coated, but not soggy.
- Spray a 4" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray and pat down the stuffing until it fits in the pan. Seal tightly with aluminum foil to hold in moisture; bake for 30 minutes. Remove stuffing from oven and sprinkle with remaining herbs and chopped pecans.
- Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 86 kcal cal., 3 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 10 g carb., 2 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 6 g pro., 34 mg calcium, 1 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet