Savory Stuffed Apples with Turkey and Almonds
- 6 apples
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Cut off tops of apples, core them, and hollow them out, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh behind. Reserve and roughly chop apple chunks.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add ground turkey and cook until brown. Add reserved apple, celery, onion, garlic, sage, paprika, and parsley. Saute until fully cooked. Add almonds to pan, season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Stuff apples with the ground-turkey mixture and place on pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Choose a sweet-tart apple variety, which will pair well with the seasoned turkey.
- Created by Abraham Salum, owner and chef of Salum in Dallas
Per serving: 292 kcal cal., 14 g fat (2.4 g sat. fat), 29 g carb., 6 g fiber, 17 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet