Seared Broccoli Salad With Toasted Coconut and Red Apple
If you prefer a chopped salad, finely cut the seared broccoli, apple, coconut chips, and scallion. Toss with the dressing and serve.
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened toasted coconut chips
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced at an angle
- Cut the very bottom of broccoli stems to remove tough ends. Stand broccoli on the florets and slice into thin pieces or "steaks."
- In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet, heat half the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Sear broccoli on first side until golden brown and beginning to crisp, about 2 minutes; flip and cook briefly on second side until tender. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining coconut oil and broccoli.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. On a large serving platter, layer broccoli, apple, coconut chips, and scallion. Drizzle with dressing and coarsely grind black pepper on top. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per serving: 223 kcal cal., 16 g fat (8.3 g sat. fat), 266 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 5 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet