Shredded Kale, Jicama, and Apple Salad With Toasted Coconut
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, gently melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bunches lacinato kale (about 1 pound), stemmed
- 1 medium jicama (about 1 1/4 pounds), ends trimmed, peeled, and grated
- 1 crisp apple, quartered, cored, and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the coconut flakes in a medium bowl, drizzle with coconut oil, and mix well.
- Lay the coconut on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully to keep from burning. Remove to plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- To make the dressing, in a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Working in batches, julienne kale leaves by stacking and rolling them up, then slicing crosswise very thinly. Transfer to a large salad bowl, and mix in the jicama and apple slices. Add the dressing to the salad and mix well. Serve immediately topped with the toasted coconut and walnuts.