Shrimp Scampi with Snap Peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup shelled fresh or frozen sugar snap peas (do not defrost if frozen)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes, until soft. Add shrimp and peas and saute 1 minute. Toss in oregano, salt and pepper and stir to coat. Add vermouth or dry white wine and simmer 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch into chicken broth until smooth; add mixture to skillet. Simmer 2 minutes, stirring frequently until sauce thickens and shrimp are bright pink and cooked through. Serve scampi over rice.
- To make a thinner sauce to serve over linguine instead of rice, increase chicken broth to 3/4 cup.
Per serving: 290 kcal cal., 6 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 531 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 26 g pro., 86 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet