Skinny Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 large globe artichokes
- 2 lemons, 1 cut in half, 1 juiced
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated
- 2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove artichoke stems and discard. Slice off top inch of 1 artichoke. Using kitchen shears, cut off sharp tip of each leaf. Separate leaves and pull out enough from the center to reveal fuzzy choke. Scoop out choke with a teaspoon and squeeze juice from 1 lemon half into cavity, then use other lemon half to rub all over artichoke to prevent discoloration. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Pour lemon juice into boiling water; add artichokes. Cook for 25 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place bulgur and garlic in a heatproof bowl. Bring 1 cup broth to a boil; pour over bulgur. Cover and let sit for about 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Mix in next 6 ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain cooked artichokes on paper towels for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a baking dish. Spoon bulgur stuffing into each artichoke cavity, then pull leaves apart and fill spaces between them. Pour remaining 1/2 cup broth into bottom of dish. Drizzle olive oil over artichokes. Bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Per serving: 365 kcal cal., 18 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 47 g carb., 17 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 15 g pro., 240 mg calcium, 4 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet