Slow Cooker Chickpea and Lentil Chili
There's nothing more satisfying than digging into a dish that took just 10 minutes to prepare - plus, there's minimal clean up! The tomatoes are full of vitamin C to help you absorb the iron in the chickpeas and lentils.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes (1/2 in. cubes)
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained and crushed
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- Place chickpeas in a saucepan, and add 2 quarts of boiling water. Cover and let stand for 1 hour; drain.
- Place cooked chickpeas in slow cooker.
- Add rest of the ingredients up to raisins. Mix well. Add liquids. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Recipe provided by Min Kwon, R.D., of MJ and Hungryman
Per serving: 235 kcal cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 48 g carb., 18 g sugar, 11 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet