Soothing Garlic Soup
Recipe by Mollie Katzen. "I like to use the Imagine brand of vegetable broth, which is organic and comes in 1-quart shelf-stable boxes, similar to soy milk." Katzen says.
- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled or scrubbed and cut into large chunks
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 medium-sized garlic bulbs, cloves separated and peeled (otherwise left whole)
- Handful of parsley
- Extra minced parsley for serving (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Croutons (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and partially cover.
- Cook on low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let the soup cool to room temperature.
- Strain out and discard all vegetables.
- Reheat gently, top with parsley, black pepper, and croutons, if using, and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include optional Croutons.
Per serving: 222 kcal cal., 9 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 2353 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 5 g pro., 81 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet