Sour Cherry Compote with Cream
This healthy dessert zings with flavor.
- 20 ounces fresh (or jarred) sour cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 bunch fresh lemon balm or mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Dash paprika
- Zest of 1 organic lemon, cut into large strips
- Place cherries in a large pot. Add lemon balm or mint and paprika. Place over medium-low heat.
- Stir in sugar and add cinnamon stick (don't crush), water, and lemon zest. Simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and lemon zest. Pour the compote into 4 dessert dishes and let cool. Garnish with sage leaves and 1 tablespoon of cream.
Per serving: 249 kcal cal., 15 g fat (9 g sat. fat), 22 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 21 g sugar, 3 g pro., 98 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet