Southern "Fried" Chicken Burgers
Buttermilk and seasonings give this juicy burger the flavor of spicy fried chicken.
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups loosely packed pre-shredded coleslaw mix
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 5 whole wheat English muffins
- 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 6 teaspoons honey mustard
To make coleslaw:
- Stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed in a medium bowl. Add coleslaw mix and stir well to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
To make burgers:
- Tear one English muffin into chunks and add to food processor. Process for about 10 seconds to make medium bread crumbs. In a large bowl, stir together crumbs, buttermilk, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Add ground chicken and mix well, using your hands or a large spoon. Form into four patties about 3 1/2 inches wide and three-quarters of an inch thick.
- Place patties on a lightly oiled grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Flip burgers and cook 5 to 6 minutes more, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a burger reaches 165 degrees F. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- Split remaining English muffins and lightly toast on the grill. To serve, spread one side of each muffin with 1 1/2 teaspoons honey mustard. Top each with a burger, one-third cup coleslaw, and the other muffin half.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt.
Per serving: 361 kcal cal., 12 g fat (3 g sat. fat), 550 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 28 g pro., 188 mg calcium, 3 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet