Soy and Sesame Spinach
This easy recipe tastes great cold or at room temperature, and perfectly pairs the freshness of spinach with earthy sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Fill a bowl with ice water and set it nearby. Salt the pot generously, then blanch spinach in it for 30 seconds, until tender. Drain spinach and shock it immediately in ice-water bath. Drain again and squeeze spinach to get rid of any excess water.
- In a bowl, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, pepper and garlic. Add spinach and toss thoroughly. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Reprinted from Koreatown: A Cookbook. Copyright © 2016 by Deuki Hong and Matt Rodbard. Photograph copyright © 2016 by Sam Horine. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
- Photo credit: Sam Horine