Spatchcock Chicken with Tangy Chimichurri
With this recipe from Chef Tim Love, you can cook a whole bird in no time.
- 1 whole organic chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic or 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chile flakes
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lemons, halved, for garnish
- Preheat a grill to medium high and the oven to 375 degrees , and wrap a brick with aluminum foil. Using kitchen shears, remove the backbone of the chicken and open the bird like a book. Rub with 3 tablespoons peanut oil. Mix together paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, cayenne, chile flakes, and 1/4 cup salt; rub seasoning mix liberally on both sides of chicken.
- Heat a cast-iron pan on grill. Add remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a thin layer to pan; add chicken skin side down and place foil-wrapped brick on top. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, then transfer to oven. Cook about 15 minutes more, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees .
- Meanwhile, make the chimichurri: Place garlic cloves, basil, cilantro, chives, lime juice, and orange juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to coarsely chop garlic and herbs. Add olive oil and zest, and pulse until well combined but still coarse. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chimichurri to chicken, garnish with lemon halves, and serve.
- Recipe provided by Chef Tim Love of Lonesome Dove Bistro in Austin and Fort Worth, Texas.
Per serving: 593 kcal cal., 46 g fat (7.3 g sat. fat), 944 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 36 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet