Spiced Chickpea Burger
- 1 cup drained cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1/4 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jumbo egg
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin, dried oregano, dried basil, chile flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 1/4 teaspoons extra- virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and parsley until very finely chopped but not completely smooth. Add the flour, egg, spices and herbs, salt, and 2 1/4 teaspoons oil. Pulse until well mixed. Form into six patties. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, turning once, until browned and heated through, about 8 minutes.
- Sandwich in buns with sliced red onion and tzatziki.
- These patties are best when you make them a day in advance. Whip up a batch now; tomorrow, just cook and devour.
- Recipe by Josh Capon, executive chef and partner of B&B Winepub in New York City
Per serving: 152 kcal cal., 8 g fat (1.3 g sat. fat), 322 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 5 g pro.. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet