Spiced Pistachio-Crusted Chicken and Glazed Carrots
Try this healthier twist on fried chicken.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup unsalted, shelled pistachios
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Finely chop pistachios in a food processor or by hand. Transfer to a shallow bowl and stir together with sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin. In another shallow bowl, beat egg and water together. Add flour to a third bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip a piece of chicken in the flour and shake off excess; quickly dip in egg mixture, then pistachio mixture, turning to coat both sides. Transfer to baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with a knife in the thickest part.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the carrots. Heat oil in a skillet over medium. Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant. Add carrots and toss to coat with oil; season with salt and pepper. Add orange juice, cover, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in honey.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes more or until liquid evaporates and carrots are tender. Divide chicken and carrots among 4 plates, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
- Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Per serving: 584 kcal cal., 33 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 30 g carb., 6 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 43 g pro., 160 mg calcium, 5 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet