Spicy Curried Carrot Soup
This warm, seasonal soup is filling and satisfying even without cream.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth, canned or homemade
- 1 dried hot chili pepper, any type (optional)
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large (5-quart) saucepan, combine all ingredients except cilantro. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor in batches, 2-3 cups at a time. Puree until smooth.
- Return puree to saucepan and reheat. Stir in chopped cilantro. Serve promptly.
Per serving: 105 kcal cal., 1 g fat) (573 mg sodium, 7 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 5 g pro., 77 mg calcium, 2 mg iron. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet